- Home page - mainly just eye candy. Large, beautiful pic of a farm animal. Central, visible push for email signups (similar to HCF) http://hamptoncreekfoods.com/. Donate/FB/Twitter/Instagram icon links somewhere fairly visible. Contact info at bottom. Four links to subpages: Our Story; Impact; Stay Informed; Support
- Our Story page - two paragraphs that tell our story as an org (who we are, what we do, and why we do it) in an engaging way, along with a big colorful picture. Beneath it (scrolling down), a modern looking section showing our staff members, with high-res photos of each as well a bi. Would include the phone numbers/emails for each staffer, and links to FB pages for each office.
- Impact page - highlighting a couple of our big achievements, basically a pared-down version of a year in review (that is not specific to one year), and noting endorsements from Chronicle of Philanthropy, EAA, and Animal Charities of America. Written as an engaging, story-based narrative, not as bullet points. Maybe including logos of companies and schools we've won campaigns against. Room to optionally insert video in page. Currently, we have a bland year in review page: http://thehumaneleague.com/yearinreview2012.htm
The best design would be one that can be modular—that is, has a layout that can be added on to or modified with new images as we campaign against new companies or reach new milestones. The areas that we will want to highlight: our recognition for being high-impact (top recommended charity on http://www.effectiveanimalactivism.org/); http://www.independentcharities.org/info.asp?Title=The+ICA+Seal+of+Excellence&sBody=BIA; we were recently on the cover of the Chronicle of Philanthropy.
The basic story that we are trying to tell is that we are a group of grassroots offices that do a combination of local, high-impact work—education and outreach—with national campaigns with a strong track record of victories against large corporations: Aramark, Sodexo, Johnsonville Sausage to name a few examples. We've also created change on dozens and dozens of campuses, including Harvard, UPenn, Brown, Boston College, Drexel, Boston University, etc.
Finally, what sets us apart from many groups is our focus on technology and research. We have been leaders in online ad campaigns, both in implementation and in measurement via survey research. We have an entire wing of our organization that is dedicated to just research: humaneleaguelabs.wordpress.com
- Get Involved: Something simple, clean and stylish with a big colorful picture of an animal, where capturing contact info is the ask. Include contact information on volunteering/interning, and point people to the staff page to meet the people in their cities.
- Support/Donate page. Much simplified from current page, with prominent donate button and only links to other donation options (as opposed to text about them). Also, in terms of other donate options, the only ones to keep should be stocks; vehicles; bequests; international. Should also include a link to the Merchandise Page (to be hosted on another site).
Static features (somewhere on every page, maybe header, maybe footer, maybe right bar):
-FB and Twitter and Instagram icon links
-Donate and sign-up options (with fields to be entered, not just links)
-THL main contact email, address and phone number