We specialize in processing and spinning Alpaca fiber/fleece into yarns, roving, batts and felt for knitters, hand spinners and fiber artist. We also process sheep's wool. Target customers are small to mid-size alpaca farmers/ranchers. We custom spin 2 and 3 ply yarn.
Alpaca yarns are highly sought after for their high quality and softness. Soft, warm, comfortable, natural, spun, intertwined, interwoven, strong, creative, and bright
Process of turning fleece/fiber into yarn:
1. Fleece is shorn off the alpaca in same manner as it’s taken off sheep.
2. Once it’s shorn off the animal it’s referred to as fiber.
3. The fiber is then washed several times to remove dirt.
4. Fiber is then run through a machine called the picker which starts to pick the groups of fiber apart into individual strands,
5. From the picker the fiber then goes to the carder which separated the fiber even more into individual strands.
6. The carder also starts to line the fiber up so the individual strands are running parallel to each other.
7. When the fiber comes out of the carder it’s called a roving.
8. Next step it the pin drafter which makes all the individual strands run parallel to each other.
9. The pin drafter also drafts or makes the roving thinner by stretching them apart into thinner roving.
10. From the pin drafter the roving is taken to the spinning machine which further drafts the roving and then spins the fiber, or twists it into a single strand of yarn making it strong yet very soft.
11. Next step is to take the individual strands of yarn and ply or combine them with other individual strands with the twist going in the opposite direction for added strength. Usually you ply 2 to 3 strands of yarn together to make the finished yarn product.