These are the parameters for the series
Measurements are not yet determined.
BACK COVERS (for print version)
The back cover template will include space for:
1. Testimonials (estimated space 1/3 of the back cover)
2. About the author
3. Author photo
4. ISBN information (bottom right corner of the back cover)
5. Logo and web address (http://www.michaelwalmsley.ca) likely on the lower portion of the back cover
Currently working on this request, there is no current content, but I would like about 1/3 of the back cover devoted to this purpose. Designs must be flexible enough to accommodate testimonials of varying lengths.
About the author
Michael Walmsley has worked more than 20 years in the hospitality industry for major hotel chains and independents in Canada. His expertise includes work in food and beverage management, cost control, accounting, local and corporate purchasing. Mike has also enjoyed an international career in education, supporting, developing and training industry leaders of tomorrow from around the world. He has taught more than 4,000 students on topics relating to hospitality management, communication, business leadership and marketing.
This series of books is geared to busy professionals in the food and beverage industry and the cover must present itself in that light. These are NOT textbooks and should not look like textbooks in any way, there needs to be a professional image created that can carry a brand from one book to the next in the series staying clean and clear while supporting a professional image and providing business solutions to the target market. The author has more than 25 years of management and teaching experience in the hospitality industry and cover template designs need to present him as an expert and seasoned professional in the industry.
Templates should be professional, modern, bold, clear solution to business problems. I’m looking for covers that promote brand and sales within the specific business community.
As a book cover designer it is expected that you have a full understanding of the effect of colour on the emotions of the target market of business professionals and enhance the feeling of trust and interest on the part of the potential readership to drive sales.
Some colours I like:
• White space
Some colours I don’t like:
• Black (as a base)
1. Present the author as a professional/expert in the field
2. Author’s name must be clearly identifiable on the front book cover but not the largest feature
3. Create an attractive cover that draws the target audience’s attention
4. Create a design, fonts, elements and colours for the book(s)
5. Space for Authors picture (back)
6. Tips and Taps Press logo on the spine and maybe on the back at the bottom of the cover (MUST be visible on the front of the eBook-version cover)
7. I have mixed feeling about the use of any imagery vrs text only. If your design does include any imagery it has to be wholly related to the topic and the industry as well as royalty free.
8. Please include the font, (name(s)).
9. Completed files need to be in AI (adobe illustrator) to be accepted by me.
1. I’m not keen on images of money or dollar signs on the cover
2. Any images should relate to a mindset of creating successful business strategies that support better business practices and help build better profitability.
3. Any imagery should make/help the reader feel that making their businesses’ will be more financially successful by applying the book content to their business.
4. Please avoid any temptation to use current cover templates; this is an opportunity to show your stuff!
Samples covers that interested me:
This is a great example of books in a series that are obviously different, but at the same time part of a series of books on best practices. The overall design makes that clear; however one of the shortfalls (in my mind) is the relationship of the imagery to the title and content. I don’t feel the “connection” with all the images to the actual book topics
Here is an example of text only covers. I like the way the tag lines (subtitles) are used and see the similarity with 69 Tips where the tag line title uses “15 Ways to Get….”
I like the boldness of the fonts and sizes and overall balance. I thought that it was interesting that the title “Successful People” is matched to the colour theme of the book. Maxwell is a well know writer so I think it’s fitting that his name is so prominently displayed and clearly identifies him as a #1 New York Times Bestselling Author.
Sample 3 (obviously a series but I don’t care for the imagery, it distracts from the main message in my view and doesn’t necessarily support the title or content)
A business series of books, not sure that I like the images or dark colours but as a business series for managers it’s easy to see that the books in this series belongs together.
Sample 4 “How to Say It” Series
Umm, OK but too much reliance on text and blocked colours, very close to a textbook feel
Please let me know if you have any questions regarding you proposal. If you feel that reading some of the book content would assist you in your design quest, please let me know and I will provide you with an excerpt from the first book.
Logo and author photos to follow you can use other items as place holders until the required info is available.